Contact Us

View Map
  • (913) 367-5500
  • (913) 367-3654
  • Staff Directory
  • FIRE
    Non-Emergency: 913-367-4329
    Emergency: 9-1-1
    Non-Emergency: 913-367-4323
    Emergency: 9-1-1


Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-38 of 38
What's the telephone number for the DMV?
Contact Atchison County at 913-367-3936.
What's the telephone number for the landfill?
Contact the Atchison County Solid Waste Transfer Station at 913-804-6005.
What's the telephone number for district court?
Contact Atchison County District Court at 913-804-6060.
Who do I call for a special trash pick-up?
Contact the our Public Works HelpLine at 913-367-5561.
Who do I call to file a nuisance complaint?
If the "nuisance" is an issue with someone not keeping up their property (like high weeds, abandoned house, junk cars, etc.) contact City Code Enforcement at 913-367-5560. If the nuisance is of a criminal nature (like a loud party, a threatening individual, etc.) call the Police non-emergency line at 913-367-4323.
How do I get a building permit?
Contact our Community Development Office at 913-360-2013.
Who do I contact about the flea markets?
Various individuals hold flea markets, neighborhood and community garage sales, etc. during the year. The City does not organize, coordinate, or otherwise sponsor any of them. Check out the Community Events calendar at for new events or contact the Chamber at 913/367-2427 if you're interested in organizing one.
Who do I contact about the St. Patrick's day Parade?
The St. Patrick's Day Parade is a privately-planned event that doesn't involve the City of Atchison directly. Responsibility for organizing the St. Patrick's Day Parade rotates each year to the winning family float from the previous year. Watch for news articles posted during February to announce information about this year's event.
Who do I contact about the High School Homecoming?
Contact USD 409 at 913-367-4384.
Where do I buy tickets for LakeFest or find out more information about it?
Contact the Chamber at 913-367-2427 or
Where do I buy tickets and get more information about a Haunted Trolley Tour?
Contact the Chamber at 913-367-2427 or
Can I rent the Armory?
No, not from the City. The Armory is now a privately owned property. If you're looking for a venue, check out the Atchison Heritage Conference Center at 913-367-1162 or
Even if I'm behind on my city utility payments, doesn't the City have to keep my water on if it's below freezing outside?
No. Utilities are provided to customers who pay on-time and in-full for the services they use. There is no cold weather provision for water.
If the City shuts off my water and the pipes burst, isn't the City liable?
No. It is a customer's decision to establish water service and the customer's responsibility to pay for the service. If payment is not rendered for services used, the City is not responsible for maintaining service or what happens after service is disconnected to private property.
Is there a charge for refuse special pick-up?
No. Special pick-ups are provided as a courtesy to our customers, but scheduling may be limited at times. Call us today at 913-367-5561 to schedule your pick-up.
Can I opt out of refuse service?
No. Residential refuse collection is a standard monthly fee. This service is mandatory; it is not optional.
How do I file an insurance claim against the City?
Contact our claims intake specialist Staff Accountant Cari Strieby at 913-367-5500 to complete an information form. NOTICE: All insurance claims against the City are a matter of public record and may be disclosed at the City Commission meeting following filing.
How do I know what day my trash gets picked-up?
Call us at 913-367-5561 with your address. We're happy to help. Check out the Solid Waste Collection division of our Public Works department for a route map, holiday collection schedule, and snow routes.
If sewer backs-up into my house, isn't the city responsible for the damage and/or replacing my line?
No. All problems that happen on your side of the line are definitely your responsibility. The City is only responsible for reasonably maintaining the public line up to the point at which it connects to your property. Even so, tree roots, main breaks, debris your neighbor threw down the storm sewer, these are all things outside of our control and responsibility. If you experience a problem with water or sewer service, call us at 913-367-5500. Our service crews will do an inspection and, if necessary, perform maintenance on the public main to correct the problem. If, however, the problem is occurring between the main and your house on your private line(s), then it is your responsibility to maintain, fix, or replace the line as the situation may be. Please note: You will need the services of a LICENSED contractor and/or plumber to make repairs. Tradesmen who are not licensed by the city are not lawfully allowed to do business in the community. Before you sign on the line, call our Community Development office at 913-367-5560 to see if your potential contractor is legit.
Why does the City license construction trades people?
The City licenses electricians, gasfitters, and plumbers to ensure that they are licensed and credentialed to do these highly skilled jobs and are capable of completing the job they've committed to do for you. It's not an endorsement of their work, merely that they have met all the requirements of a legitimate business. Before you sign, contact our Community Development office at 913-367-5560 to see if your potential contractor is legit.
If I'm being chased by the police, Atchison PD can't follow me over the bridge into Missouri, right?
Uh, wrong. While Atchison PD is pulling you over on the Missouri side of the river (and probably charging you with resisting arrest), we'll also be calling in our Missouri counterparts to assist. Perfectly legit, and a really poor decision on your part. Pull over, deal with it, then move on.
How do I get my vehicle out of impound?
In most cases, impounded vehicles are handled by the local towing company. To retrieve an impounded vehicle, contact the towing company directly. On occasion, Atchison Police does impound cars involved in significant drug seizures to hold as evidence and/or when they have been ordered forfeited by the court. Your attorney will advise you on your property rights and due process.
How do I contact someone in jail?
There is only one jail in Atchison County; it's run by the Atchison County Sheriff's Office. The Law Enforcement Center is totally separate from the Atchison Police Department and is located adjacent to the County Courthouse at 518 Parallel Avenue in Atchison. Contact the Sheriff's Office at (913) 367-0216.
What are the hours when I can receive a noise violation ticket?
You can receive a noise ordinance violation ticket within the city limits of Atchison any time of day, such as: Any noise of continuous or intermittent nature which persists for a period of fifteen minutes and can be heard by any person outside the immediate premises from the location of the emitter may result in a noise ordinance violation. Night time limits for non-stationary noise (a machine or devise capable of being moved from place to place for occasional or temporary use at a given location. This includes all types of motorized vehicles) are from 11:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. Night time limits for fixed source noise (a machine or device capable of creating a noise level at the property upon which it is regularly located, or upon which it is regularly used, which projects onto another property; this includes, but is not limited to, air-conditioning apparatus, powered lawn mowers and chain saws) are from 9:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m.
Is there a curfew for juveniles in Atchison?
Yes, it is unlawful for persons under the age of 15 to loiter on streets after 11 pm unless accompanied by their guardian.
I drive a pickup truck. Do I have to wear a seatbelt? If I am an adult and riding in the back seat of a car, do I have to wear my seatbelt?
Yes to both. Kansas State law requires all occupants in a vehicle to wear a seatbelt while driving or riding.
Does Atchison offer a Citizens Police Academy?
We do not currently have a Citizens Police Academy, but hope to one day. We encourage any interested in taking on a bigger leadership in their community to contact the Chamber of Commerce for more information about their Community Leadership Academy at 913/367-2427.
Can I make an incident report or complaint with Atchison Police Department online?
No, contact the police department directly at 913-367-4323 or Emergency 9-1-1 for more information on how to make a report or complaint. We're here to help.
Can I get copies of a police incident report online?
No, contact the police administrative office directly at 913-367-5525. We'll help you get the information you're looking for.
What's a mill?
A "mill" is a standard of measurement used for taxation. One mill is equal to one-tenth of a cent (0.001), or $1.00 per $1,000 of assessed valuation.
Is court really at 7:30 a.m.?
Yes, court really is at 7:30 a.m. ... In the morning. Make whatever arrangements or plans you need to make to get yourself to court by 7:30 a.m. when roll is called.
Is there a dress code for Municipal Court?
Yes -- no pajamas!
What should I do if I missed my court appearance?
Immediately call the Municipal Court Clerk at 913-367-5515 to discuss it. A warrant has probably been issued for your arrest. The Court Clerk will not waive your warrant, but it is far more favorable for you to make contact and acknowledge that you missed court than for you to ignore it. Then come to court the following Wednesday and be prepared to explain yourself to the judge. Just come, handle your business, and move forward.
Why is the City so tough about late penalties on utility bills?
For years, good customers who paid their bill on time had to subsidize the bad habits of those who continuously abused more lenient payment policies through higher rates. Today, we strictly and uniformly administer our policies because to do otherwise would be unfair to good customers who voluntarily do the right thing.
Why wasn't [a county road] plowed?
The City maintains city streets, i.e. those within our jurisdiction. The road you were driving on is a county road. If you've got a complaint about roads outside of the city, your best bet is to direct it to the organization responsible - Atchison County or KDOT. If you've got feedback on how we're doing with city streets, please let us know.
Why are property taxes so high?
Hmm, that's a toughy because the truth is that city taxes aren't high, looking at the numbers. Atchison's city property tax rate is middle of the pack for its peer cities in Kansas. We also know that residents of Atchison pay less dollar-for-dollar in city taxes compared to many residents of larger metro communities. Nonetheless, we hear your point. Could the real question be that you're not seeing the same value for your tax dollar as in another town? If so, it's a legit question and something we'd like to talk about more with you. If you're just comparing tax rates city-to-city, make sure you're looking at taxes per capita to get the true apples-to-apples comparison. Also, be clear on what you're comparing - are you comparing the city-only tax burden or the total tax burden from all the local taxing entities in that community?
Does the city property tax offset income tax?
No. The city gets no income tax. That's state and federal only. For revenue, the city gets to levy a property tax (along with six other taxing entities in Atchison), a portion of the sales tax, and franchise fees on private utilities. What you may be thinking of is the Local Ad Valorem Tax Reduction (LAVTR) debacle ... Under the Graves administration, the state did re-neg on sharing revenue from other minor tax streams which had been used in all cities in Kansas to reduce property taxes. By the stroke of a pen, the state dumped its problems downhill, forcing most city property tax rates to spike to current levels. However, it's been many years since then and it appears unlikely that the State will go back to honoring its statutory obligation to local governments. Wah-wah!
Where can I get a hunting or fishing permit?
The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, & Toursim handles licenses and permits for hunting and fishing. The City has no involvement. To learn more, visit the KDWPT website at
Results 1-38 of 38