Contact Us

View Map
  • (913) 367-5500
  • (913) 367-3654
  • Staff Directory
  • FIRE
    Non-Emergency: 913-367-4329
    Emergency: 9-1-1
    Non-Emergency: 913-367-4323
    Emergency: 9-1-1


Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-12 of 12
Who do I call for a special trash pick-up?
Contact the our Public Works HelpLine at 913-367-5561.
Even if I'm behind on my city utility payments, doesn't the City have to keep my water on if it's below freezing outside?
No. Utilities are provided to customers who pay on-time and in-full for the services they use. There is no cold weather provision for water.
If the City shuts off my water and the pipes burst, isn't the City liable?
No. It is a customer's decision to establish water service and the customer's responsibility to pay for the service. If payment is not rendered for services used, the City is not responsible for maintaining service or what happens after service is disconnected to private property.
Is there a charge for refuse special pick-up?
No. Special pick-ups are provided as a courtesy to our customers, but scheduling may be limited at times. Call us today at 913-367-5561 to schedule your pick-up.
Can I opt out of refuse service?
No. Residential refuse collection is a standard monthly fee. This service is mandatory; it is not optional.
How do I file an insurance claim against the City?
Contact our claims intake specialist Staff Accountant Cari Strieby at 913-367-5500 to complete an information form. NOTICE: All insurance claims against the City are a matter of public record and may be disclosed at the City Commission meeting following filing.
How do I know what day my trash gets picked-up?
Call us at 913-367-5561 with your address. We're happy to help. Check out the Solid Waste Collection division of our Public Works department for a route map, holiday collection schedule, and snow routes.
If sewer backs-up into my house, isn't the city responsible for the damage and/or replacing my line?
No. All problems that happen on your side of the line are definitely your responsibility. The City is only responsible for reasonably maintaining the public line up to the point at which it connects to your property. Even so, tree roots, main breaks, debris your neighbor threw down the storm sewer, these are all things outside of our control and responsibility. If you experience a problem with water or sewer service, call us at 913-367-5500. Our service crews will do an inspection and, if necessary, perform maintenance on the public main to correct the problem. If, however, the problem is occurring between the main and your house on your private line(s), then it is your responsibility to maintain, fix, or replace the line as the situation may be. Please note: You will need the services of a LICENSED contractor and/or plumber to make repairs. Tradesmen who are not licensed by the city are not lawfully allowed to do business in the community. Before you sign on the line, call our Community Development office at 913-367-5560 to see if your potential contractor is legit.
What's a mill?
A "mill" is a standard of measurement used for taxation. One mill is equal to one-tenth of a cent (0.001), or $1.00 per $1,000 of assessed valuation.
Why is the City so tough about late penalties on utility bills?
For years, good customers who paid their bill on time had to subsidize the bad habits of those who continuously abused more lenient payment policies through higher rates. Today, we strictly and uniformly administer our policies because to do otherwise would be unfair to good customers who voluntarily do the right thing.
Why are property taxes so high?
Hmm, that's a toughy because the truth is that city taxes aren't high, looking at the numbers. Atchison's city property tax rate is middle of the pack for its peer cities in Kansas. We also know that residents of Atchison pay less dollar-for-dollar in city taxes compared to many residents of larger metro communities. Nonetheless, we hear your point. Could the real question be that you're not seeing the same value for your tax dollar as in another town? If so, it's a legit question and something we'd like to talk about more with you. If you're just comparing tax rates city-to-city, make sure you're looking at taxes per capita to get the true apples-to-apples comparison. Also, be clear on what you're comparing - are you comparing the city-only tax burden or the total tax burden from all the local taxing entities in that community?
Does the city property tax offset income tax?
No. The city gets no income tax. That's state and federal only. For revenue, the city gets to levy a property tax (along with six other taxing entities in Atchison), a portion of the sales tax, and franchise fees on private utilities. What you may be thinking of is the Local Ad Valorem Tax Reduction (LAVTR) debacle ... Under the Graves administration, the state did re-neg on sharing revenue from other minor tax streams which had been used in all cities in Kansas to reduce property taxes. By the stroke of a pen, the state dumped its problems downhill, forcing most city property tax rates to spike to current levels. However, it's been many years since then and it appears unlikely that the State will go back to honoring its statutory obligation to local governments. Wah-wah!
Results 1-12 of 12